I had posted a picture of this beauty on my Facebook Page before Thanksgiving and then completely forgot to share the recipe in the madness of Turkey-Time! My sincere apologies. This is an old favourite of mine, no idea where the original recipe came from…I’ve got a hand written version from about fifteen years ago.
This is not a dessert for the faint of heart. It has all of my favourite ingredients…toffee, nuts, gingersnap cookies, Bailey’s and of course the cheesecake! Perfect for a big family dinner or to bring to a dessert party. It is easy to do, very impressive and best of all if the top cracks you get to smother it in caramel sauce and …
VOILA! Problem solved!
Best to make it a day ahead of time so it can set perfectly and have that wonderfully rich consistency. I use a 9″ springform pan, with about 2½” sides. Once it is sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, I cover the outside in two layers of heavy tin foil.
The Temptress Caramel Cheesecake
Ingredients: serves 8-10
- nonstick vegetable spray
- 1½ cups dry gingersnap cookies
- 5 tbs butter, melted
- 2 tbs brown sugar, packed
- 4 8-ounce pkg cream cheese, soft at room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tbs butter, melted
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 tsp Bailey’s Irish cream
- 1½ cups sugar
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tsp lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 Skor candy bars, chopped
- 2 cups pecans, whole
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°, prepare the pan as described above
- Mix ground cookies, butter and sugar in a bowl until clumps begin to form…like wet sand.
- Press cookie mixture firmly into the bottom of springform pan.
- Bake crust until it starts to brown, about 15 minutes. Remove and cool.
- Leave oven on at that temp
- Beat cream cheese in mixer until smooth, slowly add the sugar, then the butter. Add eggs one at a time until just blended. Beat in Bailey’s.
- Pour batter over cooled crust gently so as not to disturb crust. Gently tap sides to release any air.
- Place springform pan in a large roasting pan, add enough water to come up halfway up sides of springform pan.
- Bake cake until filling has risen around the edges and is still slightly jiggly in the centre, about one hour and 15 minutes.
- Remove pan from water, remove foil and put hot cheesecake uncovered in the fridge overnight.
Caramel Topping-next day
- Stir water, sugar and lemon juice in a large saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat, boil without stirring until mixture darkens, occasionally swirling pan…about 10 minutes.
- Gently add the cream, mixture will bubble up and then reduce heat to low. Simmer until reduced to about 1¼ cups, stirring occasionally…about 7 minutes.
- Chill until thickened, but still easy to pour…about 15 minutes.
- Spoon caramel over top, just to the edge, not down sides
- Garnish top with chopped toffee and nuts
- Chill for 2-5 hours
- Run wet knife around pan sides to loosen cake, release pan sides, place whole pecans around edge.
- Serve and enjoy the “Ooohs & Aaaahhs” of all of your guests!
I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~Jason Love