So very excited to share these brownies from the Sea Salt Cookbook. After interviewing Alison and Lorna, they kindly agreed to share one of the beautiful recipes from their inspiring cookbook. This cookbook is available at Costco and Chapters and is a beautiful addition to any cookbook collection or the perfect gift for the foodie in your family !
“These moist, fudgy brownies will vanish almost instantly when presented to your guests. The sweet caramel is beautifully offset by a subtle sprinkling of rock salt. We love to use the rock salt from the Vancouver Island Rock Salt Co., based in Cobble Hill” ~Sea Salt
Sea Salt & Caramel Brownies
Ingredients: makes 16 small brownies
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbs unsweetened cocoa
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¹/3 cup light corn syrup
- 3 tbs water
- pinch of salt
- ¹/3 cup whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Rock salt, Vancouver Island Salt Co.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 9″ square metal cake pan with parchment paper. Spray paper lightly with cooking oil. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter with chocolate over low heat, stirring occasionally.Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Whisk together sugar, eggs and vanilla in a large bowl. Slowly add chocolate mixture, stirring until thoroughly incorporated. Sift flour and cocoa together and fold into batter until just combined. Pour batter into the prepared pan and smooth the surface.
- Bake brownies in the middle of the oven for approximately 35 minutes, until the edges are set and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool at room temperature in the pan for one hour.
- Bring sugar, corn syrup, water and salt to boil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Boil, without stirring, until mixture turns a golden caramel colour, approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cream and vanilla.
- Pour caramel over the brownies, spreading evenly. Cool completely in the pan in the refrigerator.
- Once brownies are cooled, scatter rock salt over top. Gripping the edge of the parchment paper, lift brownies from the pan. Remove paper. Cut brownies into 16 squares.
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container and serve at room temperature.
*Photos and recipe kindly shared with permission from Harbour Publishing www.harbourpublishing.com
Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. ~Sandra Boynton