Next to sunshine on the beach, the most wonderful part about summer is SALAD! It is so easy to create a simple meal that features a few fresh flavours with minimal fuss. On my last trip to Coombs, my nearby foodie inspiration spot, I found a huge bag of fresh, island grown baby potatoes. I love me some pomme du terre! Actually potatoes in all forms are my weakness. Let’s face it, they have virtually zero nutritional value…but they taste mighty fine! This particular recipe was a hit at a school potluck, so I am just responding to the numerous requests I’ve had to share. I’ve added my copy cat blue cheese dressing as well, but in a pinch…just grab a jar from the grocery store. It’s a great time of year to be adding pears to a recipe because the local, BC Okanagan varieties will be showing up soon. Okay enough chat! Here ya go!
Blue Cheese & Pear Potato Salad
Yield: 8-10 Servings
- I large bag yellow & purple baby potatoes (about 40)
- 6 medium Yellow Bartlett pears (I love the colour and the ‘true’ pear scent of these ones)
- 1 package bacon ( I used Harvest Applewood smoked last time…oh my!)
- I cup chopped dark kale
- 1 cup thinly sliced purple cabbage
- 1 lg bag of mixed spring greens
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese, for garnish
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup crumbled, firm, aged blue cheese
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- ½ cup EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- ½ cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 tsp onion powder
- Clean potatoes and set in large pot of salted water to boil, leave skins on. Boil for 10-15 minutes until they are tender…keep checking, don’t want them mushy!
- Meanwhile fry up bacon until crisp, drain fat, cool and chop into small pieces…put aside ½ cup for garnish
- Mix all the dressing ingredients in a blender or with a hand held immersion mixer, place in fridge.
- Rinse and small dice pears, skin on, put aside ½ cup for garnish
- Drain & rinse potatoes, allow to cool and then cut in half or quarters, depending on size.
- Toss chopped kale, sliced cabbage and spring greens in a large salad bowl.
- In another bowl add potatoes, chopped pears and bacon, pour dressing over and gently mix
- Serve potato mix over the greens mix, garnish with blue cheese, bacon & pears…bon apetit!
Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what’s for lunch. ~Orson Welles