Show of hands…who’s ready for their kids to go back to school? I sincerely apologize to my infinitely patient, home schooling friends, as I’m bowing down to you now! I do revel in having them at home, I appreciate the schedule-less life BUT after today’s boisterous display of sibling ‘love’, I’m done. The rosy, sun-filled days of love and laughter came to an abrupt halt this afternoon. Our morning was filled with creating a delicious soup, baking the Seven Silly Eaters cake (both of which I will post…I promise), friends rambunctiously tearing through the yard, you know…the familiar lip-smacking, happy-making goodness!
Sadly, in the afternoon…three evil gnomes replaced my younger offspring and without warning…
“HE HURT ME!”
“IT WAS AN ACCIDENT!”
“THEY DON’T LIKE ME!”
“IT’S NOT FAIR!”
“YOU ARE SUCH A MEAN MOMMY!”
“SHE’S SUCH A JERK!”
As I said to a friend this morning, repeat after me… “I love my kids, but that doesn’t mean I have to like them right now.”
Is it any wonder that when I was staring down at the lovely prawns my husband brought home for dinner…that JERK seasoning popped into my head?
Miraculously, after all the wee spawn were timed-out, heartily fed and tucked in with smooches and hugs…the words of love returned.
“Mommy, I’m weeeelllly sawwy I got mad at you, you aren’t mean, and do we get the cake tomorrow?”
“Probably my love, probably…”
At least dinner was fast, easy and delicious, they’re in bed and I have a glass of wine in hand. Phew, mommy wins. Kinda…
Broiled Jerk Prawns
- 1 kg prawns, shells removed, tail on
- 4 nectarines, medium dice (this is the fruit I had on hand, could use mango, pineapple or papaya)
- 2 limes, 1 juiced, one cut into wedges
- I cup roasted red peppers, medium dice (I used Dalla Terra, could use fresh but I love the extra flavour!)
- 1 tbs orange glaze ( I used blood orange glaze from Jar…no longer available…*sigh*, but any sweet, citrusy jam would work)
- 2 tbs Jamaican Jerk seasoning ( I used Busha Browne’s Traditional Seasoning)
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp lime zest
- ½ cup green onions
- Place shelled prawns into a resealable plastic bag. Mix lime juice, 1 tbs jerk seasoning and 2 tbs olive oil, add to prawns. Seal bag and marinate prawns for at least an hour in the fridge.
- Meanwhile in a bowl, mix nectarines, peppers, lime zest, 1 tbs jerk seasoning, 1 tbs olive oil, orange glaze and garlic. Cover, chill until prawns are ready.
- Stir prawns and fruit mixture together, pour into a brownie pan, place in oven on high broil
- Broil for 10-15 minutes, stirring often.
- Garnish with extra green onion and lime wedges
- Serve with red beans and rice.
If there were no schools to take the children away from home part of the time, the insane asylums would be filled with mothers.
~Edgar W. H