After I interviewed Danielle from Meme Kids, I asked her to share a favourite family recipe, of course! She was thrilled to share her favourite easy recipe. She claims it is the most popular dessert in South Africa, Melktert (a milk tart). Danielle tells me that they even serve this delicious dessert on South African Airways international flights. She says there are several different variations and as many ways to make this treat but this recipe is from her late grandmother and an all-time favourite. I think that makes this recipe even sweeter. From Danielle’s Ouma to you ♥
- 2 cups of cinnamon biscuits (crushed into crumbs)
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 can of sweet condensed milk
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 4 eggs (separated into yolks and whites)
- 3 tbsp butter
- ²⁄3 cup corn starch
- ¼ cup yellow custard powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- Slowly add melted butter to crushed biscuits until it resembles the texture of wet sand. Gently press it into the bottom and sides of a pie or tart pan.
- In a medium sauce pan stir in remaining butter, water and 1 cup of the milk over medium temperature.
- Mix together remaining cup of milk, corn starch, custard powder, vanilla, salt and egg yolks ONLY.
- Add to mixture on the stove.
- Increase the heat to med-high, stir constantly until mixture thickens (8-10 minutes) decrease heat to low
- Beat egg whites until frothy, fold into mixture, stir well
- Pour mix gently into pie pan.
- Sift cinnamon over the top
- Let it cool then place into the fridge and allow to set (2 hours)
He wouldn’t have given us grandmothers.