With three monkey’s under ten running around my kitchen, I rarely have bananas turn all soft, squishy & lovely for baking. While I was shopping the other day though, the smart produce manager at Fairway Market, had bundled a bunch-o-brown-bananas for a dealio! Of course I grabbed those right up! (Just a note though Fairway peeps, if you read this, maybe use a different marker to write the price…that one stained my counter…grrr).
I got very excited and quickly baked up a double batch of banana bread, one for breakie and one to freeze and save. This recipe is one that I have adapted over the years, it’s reliable, moist and not too sweet, which suits me just fine. My oldest daughter had made muffins a few days before and she had pulled together a tasty ‘gratin’ or crumbly topping, I used the leftovers on the b-bread and the end result pretty much rocked!
Blissful Banana Pumpkin Bread
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 3 large mashed, ripe bananas
- 1 cup butter, melted
- ¼ cup canned pumpkin
- ½ cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds for top
- ½ cup soft butter (for crumble topping)
- ¼ cup brown sugar (for crumble topping)
- ¼ cup crunchy granola (for crumble topping)
- ¼ cup chia seeds (for crumble topping)
- pinch or two of flour (for crumble topping)
- Step 1 Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease 2 loaf pans.
- Step 2 In a large bowl sift together the first 6 dry ingredients.
- Step 3 In a medium bowl whisk the bananas, pumpkin, eggs and vanilla, ensure the butter is cooled before you add it and the buttermilk.
- Step 4 Pour wet over dry ingredients and gently stir until just mixed, fold in chocolate chips.
- Step 5 Mix crumble topping ingredients with two forks or fingers until it is a loose consistency, sprinkle on loaves then sprinkle pumpkin seeds on top of gratin.
- Step 6 Bake on the centre rack of oven for about an hour, use tooth pick inserted in center to test for doneness.
- Step 7 Cool in pan for 20 minutes, then turn out onto baking rack to cool.
- Step 8 Slice and enjoy!
“Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.” ~Anonymous